I love the fresh, earthen aroma that engulfs the air. I enjoy eating Lauki ka pakoda (bottle gourd fritters) with hot ginger tea in the evening when it rains…
- Lauki: 200gm
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
- Chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Ajawine (carom seeds): ¼ teaspoon
- Besan (gram flour): ½ cup
- Rice flour: 1 tablespoon
- Water: ½ cup
- Mustard oil: for deep frying
- Peel off the lauki, make slices, marinate with ½ teaspoon of salt and turmeric powder to be used after 10 minutes.
- Take a bowl. Put Besan, rice flour, salt, Ajawine and chili powder in it, Make a smooth batter with the help of water.
- Take fry pan, heat oil in it, let oil to smoke. Pour a drop of batter into the oil, If batter comes up slowly, it means right temperature of oil otherwise wait for a while and test again.
- After getting right temperature of oil, dip 2-3 marinated lauki slices one by one or as many which can be accommodated as per quantity of oil. When they start to come up slowly turn over.
- Fry till it becomes golden brown from both sides, Remove the pakoda from oil.
- Deep fry all slices,
- Serve hot with green chutney and tomato sauce followed by tea.
- It can be served with any meal. It goes well with steamed rice and dal.