Paniyaram is the one of the very famous breakfast recipe in south India; it is made for eating on long distance trip also.
Good things come to small package ‘Ragi Paniyaram’ is the powerhouse of healthy nutrition, helps to reduce weight, stress and anxiety. Ragi is the cereals consumed in the purest form, does not need to be polished, it is also called super cereal.
- Ragi (Finger millet): 1 cup
- Boiled rice/parboiled rice: 1 cup
- Urad dal (split black gram): half cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram): 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal (split black gram): 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 1 no. (Small size)
- Green chili: 2 no. (As per taste)
- Mustard seed: ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida: 1 pinch
- Curry leaves: 2-3 twigs
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Wash Ragi, rice and dal each separately with water, so that all dust particles get removed properly.
- Soak, Ragi, rice and dal in separate bowl with double quantity of water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Grind the dal with equal amount of water to a very smooth paste (~5 -10minutes) in a ‘dosa grinder’ or ‘mixer grinder’. Keep aside.
- First grind the Ragi with required quantity of water to a fine and smooth paste, add the rice into Ragi paste with required quantity of water and grind to a fine paste.
- Take out this paste and mix with dal paste, add salt, stir well cover the mixture; leave it for 5-6 hours for fermentation.
- Take a fry pan, put oil heat it on medium flame in it, when smoke begins to come, add mustard seed; split black gram and split Bengal gram, sputter it for few seconds, when light brown color comes, add onion, green chili, curry leaves and salt, fry for couple of minutes, put off the flame. Transfer into batter bowl. Mix it well. Now Paniyaram batter is ready to make Paniyaram.
- Pre heat Paniyaram mould and Smear the Paniyaram cups with little ghee/oil.
- Pour ladleful prepared batter in the cavity, cover it; allow it to cook for 2-3minutes on medium low flame.
- Turn each Paniyaram with the wooden spoon or fork; allow it to cook 1-2 minutes on medium low flame, Turn once or twice if required for uniform cooking.
- Transfer it and serve it in plate/or transfer into casserole, Ragi Paniyaram is ready to serve with masala Sāmbhar and coconut chutney.
- You can also serve with tomato onion chutney and dry sesame seed chutney.