Every region has its own signature dishes, Tamil Nadu has dosa, and Hyderabad has biryani and Rajasthan is framed with Dal-bati-churma, besides this also reminds me one of its ‘Gatte ka pulao’ that is made on the festive occasion.
Enjoy the delicacies from Rajasthan…
For making Gatte:
- Besan: 200 gm
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seed: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Ajwain (thymol seed): half tea spoon
- Ghee (clarified butter): 1 tablespoon (for moin that is mix with dough itself)
- Mustard oil/cooking oil: 100gm
- Baking soda: 1 pinch
- Ghee: 50 gm (for frying Gatte)
- Basmati rice: 250 gm
- Ghee: 50gm (5 tablespoon)
- Onion: 100 gm
- Whole Garam masala: (Bay leaf: 2-3 no. Cumin seed: half teaspoon. Black cardamom: 1 no. Black pepper: ½ teaspoon Green cardamom: 2 no. Cinnamon: 2” stick)
- Ginger: 1 inch piece (grated)
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 500ml
- Take one big ball, put all ingredients of Gatte, mix well make the dough with the required quantity of water and make it like roti dough.
- Divide this dough into 8-10 pieces. . (You can make more as per your wish), make it like stick by rolling it.
- Boil 5 cups of water. Put all rolls into the boiling water, cook on the medium flame and boil it for 10 minutes, then remove it from the water and let it cool. Cut it into 2”pieces (it is called “Gatte”).
- Take a fry pan and heat ghee, when it starts to smoke add boiled and chopped Gatte in it.
- Shallow fry this for couple of minutes on medium flame, remove from the fry pan and keep aside.
- Clean and wash rice. Keep aside in a sieve.
- Chop onion longitudinally. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of ghee in a fry pan, add half of the chopped onion; fry it in high flame till it gets light brown.
- Remove it and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in wok, add Whole Garam masala, and allow sputtering it.
- Add remaining half of the chopped onion, fry it on high flame, till it gets translucent, add washed rice and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- The moment, some of rice begins to change color, put off the flame.
- Take rice cooker or pressure cooker; add ginger, water, salt and sugar, when water starts boiling, add fried rice and fried Gatte, close the lid, put off the flame when rice is done.
- Allow cooker to cool. After cooling the cooker, stir lightly the pulao with the help of fork, and add half of the fried onion, Serve pulao in a rice plate and decorate with remaining fried onion and serve with boondi raita and salad.
- Mouth watering Gatte ka pulao is ready to serve hot.