Especially for kids:
Mother’s days and nights revolve around their kids…preparing their Tiffin, getting him ready for school and once they came back home, take up their lessons and also cook delicacies that they relish.
Here is a delicacy from south India with some variation, I used whole wheat for dough and stuffed with paneer serve with chutney or without chutney. I bet that kids will love this, rather they don’t need chutney.
You may prepare this on the upcoming birthday party of your kids and get rid of your worries.
- Wheat: 1 cup
- Boiled rice/parboiled rice: 1 cup
- Urad dal (split black gram): half cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Paneer (Cottage cheese): 200gm
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 1 no. (Small size)
- Green chili: 1 no (optional)
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Chat masala: ½ teaspoon
- Wash wheat, rice and dal each separately with water, so that all dust particles get removed properly.
- Soak wheat, rice and dal in separate bowl with double quantity of water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Grind the dal with equal amount of water to a very smooth paste (~ 10-15 minutes) in a ‘dosa grinder’ or ‘mixer grinder’. Keep aside.
- First grind the wheat with required quantity of water to a fine and smooth paste, add the rice into wheat paste with required quantity of water to a fine paste.
- Take out this paste and mix with dal paste, stir well cover the mixture; leave it for 5-6 hours for fermentation.
- Grate the paneer. Keep aside.
- Chop onion and green chili into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Take fry pan, put oil, when it starts to smoke add chopped onion and fry it on high flame, add green chili, stir it and fry it till light golden color appears.
- Add salt and chaat masala and grated paneer; fry for couple of minutes , put off the flame stuffing is ready, let it cool.
- Take spoonful of stuffing and make them ball. Keep aside.
- After fermentation, stir the batter with ladle, if required add some water and salt to get the consistency, Smear the idli stand cups with little ghee/oil.
- Pour fermented mixture in idli stand cavity up to one fourth, put one prepared stuffed ball in each cavity and again Pour fermented mixture in idli stand cavity ; place the idli cooker on the gas with a cup of water, place the idli stand into the idli cooker and close the lid as shown in photo.
- Cook until toothpick inserted near the centre of the idli comes out clean; it will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Take out this idly with the help of spoon, and transfer into serving plate.
- Light Paneer (cottage cheese) stuffed idli is ready to serve with masala Sāmbhar and coconut chutney.