This ‘Roasted mung dal fry (split green gram dal fry)’ recipe is my family recipe; my hometown style. The preparation is very easy.
It’s delicious and healthy.
This recipe is incomplete without seasoning with bay leaves, whole dry red chili and cumin; splattered in mustard oil.
Its aroma will linger around the whole house. Bay leaves brings beautiful aroma, detoxify the body, slow the aging process, and speed wound healing.
- Whole mung (green mung): 150gm
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Whole red chili: 1 no.
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil: 1 tablespoon
- Water: 500 ml
- Take a fry pan/chapati griddle, add whole mung and dry roast, the moment some of mung begins to change color to light brown (3-5 minutes), put off the flame; keep aside.
- Take a mixer jar, put roasted whole mung, run the mixer for few seconds and remove the husk. If you run the mixer for more duration, dal will become powder, if some husk remains, its okay, even you can cook with husk it is healthier. (I carried prepared roasted lentil from my hometown).
- Take a pressure cooker; put roasted mung, salt, turmeric powder and water. Close the lid of pressure cooker. Cook on high flame.
- Bring to full cooking pressure, reduce to low flame and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Allow cooker to cool and open, add some more water as per your consistency, give the seasoning tadka roasted mung dal fry is ready to be served.
- Take wok, put oil, add cumin, whole red chili, bay leaf, and sputter it for few seconds, put off the flame.
- Transfer into prepared dal; cover it for couple of minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, chapati or any meal.