- Maida (refined flour): 2 cup
- Ghee (clarified butter): 1 serving spoon
- Milk: ¾ cup
- Clove: 20-25no.
- Ghee (clarified butter): for frying
- Chandi ka varak: 4-5 leaf
- Khoa (Mawa):1 cup
- Clove: 15-20no.
- Sugar: 3 table spoon
For sugar syrup:
- Sugar: 2 cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Grind clove with sugar, keep aside.
- Take a non stick fry pan. Pour 1 table spoon of ghee.
- Add Khoa and fry on medium flame. Stir continuously till it becomes light brown in color.
- Add clove powder Keep aside.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature, add sugar powder and mix properly.
- Now, stuffing is ready.
For making dough:
- Take a wide vessel; put Maida, ghee. Mix well by rubbing between palms.
- Add milk in small quantity and knead them, if required put some more milk.
- (The dough can be made in food processor also)
- Cover and Keep aside, to be used after 20-30 minutes.
For making outer layer:
- Take dough; divide this into 20-25 parts. Keep aside.
- Take one by one; make small balls (~ 0.5 inch diameter).
- Roll the balls in 4-5 inch diameter circle like small poori.
- Take one poori, Place 1full teaspoon stuffing in the centre of the poori.
- Fold one side and cover the stuffing, press the edges.
- Then fold other side with overlap, press the edges.
- Change to upside down (as shown in photo).
- Again fold both side one by one (as shown in photo).
- Lastly prick a clove in the centre. Keep aside under damp cloth.
- After completing all latika, deep fry it.
- Heat ghee in a fry pan on medium heat (to check if ghee is ready, put a little piece of dough in the oil it should come up slowly).
- Deep fry it on medium to low heat.
- Note: if it is fried on high heat, it will be soft. It will not be crunchy.
- After it starts to puff slowly turn over.
- Fry till it becomes golden brown from both sides.
- Take it out on strainer, and keep aside, allow cooling.
- Method for making sugar syrup:
- Take another pan; add sugar with water.
- Stir continuously on the lower flame, make sugar syrup.
- Allow to boil sugar syrup till get thread.
- Thread is coming it means this is the right consistency.
- Dip this lavang latika into the sugar syrup.
- After 1-2 minutes, take out pieces on strainer till syrup becomes dry.
- After this rap the latika with Chandi ka varak.
- Now lavang latika is ready to serve and eat.
- Today, I am going to upload traditional recipe from Bengal and Bihar.
- Lavang latika is prepared on the festive occasion.
- As the name gets lavang (clove) in Sanskrit.
- This is one of the aromatic Indian spice flavorful stuffing.
- Above all, Home food is always tasty as it is prepared with loads of love and care.