- Boiled rice/parboiled rice: 3 cups
- Urad dal (split black gram): one and half cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Cooking soda: 1 pinch (optional)
- Cooking oil: 2 teaspoon
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram): 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal (split black gram): 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 2 no. (Medium size)
- Green chili: 3-4 no. (As per taste)
- Ginger: 1” piece
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves
- Asafoetida: 1 pinch
- Mustard seed: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin: ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper: 10-12 corn.
- Fennel seed: ½ teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves (chopped): 2 tablespoon
- Curry leaves: 2-3 twigs
- Soak rice and dal for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Grind the rice to a course paste with help of ‘dosa grinder’ or ‘mixer grinder’.
- Grind the dal with water to a very smooth paste.
- Mixed both paste together, add salt, stir well.
- Cover the mixture; leave it for 6-7 hours for fermentation.
- Take a fry pan, Put oil in it, when smoke begins to come.
- Add mustard seed, cumin, fennel seed and black pepper, wait for few seconds.
- Add, split black gram and split Bengal gram, sputter it for few seconds.
- When light brown color comes, add green chili, stir it.
- Add garlic, fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion; curry leaves fry for couple of minutes.
- Fry till it becomes transparent.
- Put off the flame. Transfer into batter bowl.
- Add cooking soda (optional) and oil to the mixture.
- Mix properly and keep aside.
- Now Paniyaram batter is ready to make Paniyaram.
- Pre heat Paniyaram mould and Smear the Paniyaram cups with little ghee/oil.
- Pour ladleful prepared batter in the cavity.
- Cover it; allow it to cook for 2-3minutes on medium low flame.
- Turn each Paniyaram with the wooden spoon or fork.
- Allow it to cook 1-2 minutes on medium low flame.
- Turn once or twice if required for uniform cooking.
- Remove it and serve it in plate/or transfer into casserole.
- Masala Paniyaram is ready to serve with Sāmbhar masala and coconut chutney.
- You can also serve with tomato onion chutney and dry sesame seed chutney.
- Paniyaram is the one of the very famous breakfast recipe in south India.
- In south India it used to be made for eating on long distance trip also.
- It is so tasty and spongy, I usually make it.
- It is so yummy and easy to make.