Archive for July, 2012
- Ash gourd: 1kg
- Sugar: 600gm
- Saffron: 1pinch
- Alum powder (fitkari): half teaspoon
- Calcium hydroxide (kitchen lime or Kali chuna): 2 teaspoon
- Wash, peel and deseed the ash gourd.
- Cut into cylindrical shape about 2-3 inch length or as you wish.
- Prick these pieces all over with the help of fork.
- Soak these pieces in to lime water for 30-60 minutes.
- Drain the lime water and wash the pieces thoroughly under running water.
- Put the Petha in bowl pour alum water on the pieces and soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain the alum water.
- Take sufficient amount of water in a heavy bottom pot and boil the pieces till they become soft and transparent.
- Drain all water.
- Take big bowl.
- Spread one layer of sugar, then Petha pieces, sugar then Petha pieces and sugar.
- Keep it for 5-6 hrs.
- Next, take out all ash gourd pieces from the sugar.
- Put left out sugar solution from bowl to kadhai and heat it on low flame to make syrup of two thread consistency.
- Put drained Petha pieces in sugar syrup, increase the heating to high flame, and continue to heat till syrup become thick again.
- Add saffron thread in it. and boiled it.
- off the flame, and take out pieces on strainer.
- Let it cool.
- Delicious saffron Petha is ready to serve.
- Besan (gram flour): half cup
- Curd/yogurt: 1cup (sour)
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Water: 4 cup
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Ginger: 1inch
- Methi (Fenugreek seed): 1 pinch
- Clove: 2-4 no.
- Ajwain (thymol seed): 1 pinch
- Besan (gram flour): half cup
- Water: half cup
- Meetha soda (Soda-bi-carb): 1 pinch
- Salt: half teaspoon
- Oil: for deep frying
- Ghee: 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seed: 1teaspoon
- Mustard seed: half teaspoon
- Whole red chilly: 2 no.
- Hing (Asafoetida): 1 pinch
- Red chili powder: half teaspoon
- grate the ginger with the help of grater.
- Beat curd, mix gram flour in a big bowl and blend them thoroughly.
- Ensure that there are no lumps in it. Or (you can mash it with the help of sieve)
- Add water slowly.
For making karhi:
- Put all mixture in kadhai; add salt, turmeric, Ajawin, fenugreek seed, clove, and grated ginger.
- Bring it to boil and stir continuously, so that it does not cuddle.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes and stir occasionally.
For making vadi:
- Take another bowl. Put Besan, salt and meetha soda in it.
- Make a smooth batter with the help of water.
- Take another kadhai, heat oil in it.
- Let oil starts to smoke, drop small size of ball from batter in it. (Either helps of your hand or spoon)
- Deep fry the ball till light golden brown. Keep aside.
- Repeat this till all batter is finished.
- Put these balls into karhi and boil it.
Now karhi- vadi is ready.
- Take a small fry pan.
- Put ghee in it, when smoke begins to come, add mustard seed, cumin seed.
- Add whole red chili, sputter it for few seconds.
- Put off the gas. Add Asafetida and red chili powder.
- Spread this seasoning all over the karhi- vadi.
Mouth watering karhi- vadi is ready to serve.
Serve with rice.
- Parwal: 250 gm
- Mustard oil: 2tablespoon
- Chilly powder: half teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: half teaspoon
- Coriander powder: one teaspoon
- Salt: half teaspoon (as per taste)
- Chopped Coriander leaves: 2 tablespoon
- Asafetida powder: half teaspoon
- Cumin seed: half teaspoon
- Whole coriander: 1 teaspoon
- Wash and Trim the both ends of pointed gourd, and slice into fine pieces.
- Crush the whole coriander.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cumin seeds and crushed coriander and Asafetida powder when it turns brown, add a pinch of turmeric powder and sliced Parwal, saute on low flame.
- Fry until parawal is half done, (About 5-7 minutes)
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder.
- Fry till parawal is done.
- Now parawal ka bhujia is ready.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaf.
Note: heavy bottom pan and low heat works better.
This is served with dal chawal (rice).
- Broccoli: 300gm
- Onion: 1 no. (Small)
- Tomato: 1 no. (Small)
- Ginger paste: 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: half teaspoon
- Cumin seed: 1 teaspoon
- Milk: half cup (100ml)
- Oil: 2 tablespoon
- Butter: 50gm
- Clove: 2 no.
- Green cardamom: 2 no.
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Cinnamon: 1 inch stick
- Wash and Cut the broccoli into pieces.
- Deep it into hot water with half spoon salt(about 10 minutes)
- Take out the broccoli from the water.
- Heat 1table spoon oil and 25 gm butter in a fry pan, add broccoli in it .fry till half done. keep aside
- Heat 1table spoon oil in a fry pan. Let smoke come, put green cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds, and bay leaf .Fry for few seconds.
- Add half teaspoon ginger paste, garlic paste , stir few seconds , add onion paste and tomato paste .Fry on low flame about 8 -10 minutes, till dark golden brown color appears .
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Fry for few seconds.
- Add 25 gm of butter and half cup of milk slowly.
- Boil the gravy.
- Add fried broccoli in it. Simmer the flame (at least 10 -15 minutes).
- Add Garam masala powder.
- Broccoli butter masala is ready to serve.
- garnish with fresh cream
Serve with tandoori paratha or chapati.
- Makhane: 100gm
- Milk: 1 liter
- Ghee: 1 teaspoon
- Condensed milk: 200gm
- Saffron: 20 threads
- Green cardamom powder: half teaspoon
- Clean the Makhane if there is any black shell, remove it.
- Light roast Makhane with 1 teaspoon of ghee. You can also roast it in microwave or pan.
- Cool for few minutes. It will become crispy.
- Take 80 gm of Makhane and grind them coarsely. Keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan.
- Boil the milk on medium flame till it reduces to half. Keep stirring periodically.
- Add grinned Makhane and whole Makhane into the milk.
- Add saffron.
- Stir it. Cook it about 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- Add condensed milk and boil it. Put off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder and stir it.
- You can garnish it with roasted Makhane.
- Now Makhane kheer is ready to serve.
- Serve chilled or warm as per your taste.
Enjoy yummy special kheer during fast.